Grab your buckets and spades on Saturday the 4th of November 2023 and head to Hout Bay beach for an action-packed morning filled with sunshine, sandcastles, entertainment, and delicious eats and drinks. Check out all the details here at https://www.houtbaysandcastle.co.za
Building castles is the order of the day but there are loads of other activities to keep the whole family entertained all morning.
- Dance performers and live music
- Food and drinks stalls to satisfy your every craving
- A team of judges to make the difficult decisions
- A DJ and MC to keep you entertained and informed
- Amazing prizes (Weekends Away, Dinner Vouchers, Beauty Products, Toys and other goodies) are awarded to winners in each category as selected by our judges.
Members of the public who would like to support the event but prefer not to compete, can sponsor a Sonwabile team of sandcastle builders, buy raffle tickets, support the food and drink stalls and cheer the contestants on.
It’s a perfect way to celebrate family, community and the beauty of Cape Town’s beaches. The date is chosen to coincide with low tide so there will be loads of space for builders and people watchers.
100% of funds raised from the Sandcastle Competition are used to provide educational bursaries to enable children from our less privileged communities to attend Valley Pre-Primary and to fund therapeutic interventions such as language enrichment, play therapy, occupational therapy or physiotherapy, when required, to assist their learning. See more information on our SONWABILE BURSARY FUND.
Pre-registration for the Sandcastle Competition is done via the link above.
Last-minute team registrations will be accepted on the day from 7am onwards (on the Chapman’s Peak side of the Hout Bay Breach)
ENTER AS A…
- Family Team – R30 per child. R60 per adult (6 members per team, max 4 adults)
- Corporate Team – R2000 (max 6 adults)
- Inter-School Team – R300 (max 6 primary school children per team)
- Sonwabile Sponsored Team – R2000 (max 6 per team plus 2 adult supervisors, who might not build)
- Originality of concept out of 10
- Artistic execution out of 10
- Technical difficulty out of 10
- Carving technique out of 10
- Use of space out of 10
The highest total mark out of 50 in each category will decide the winners & runners up!
The Judges decision is final.
- Corporate teams may have a max of 6 team members.
- Family teams may consist of no more than 2 adults and 4 children
- Inter-School teams may only have max 6 children per team
- Teams will register and be given a numbered, colour coded flag and wristband
- Only items found in nature (on the beach) may be used as part of the materials and décor of the sandcastle
- Builders may bring buckets, spades, water sprays to assist with building
- Upon completion, each team must plant their flag on top of their castle and stay with the castle until it has been judged
- Judges will affix a sticker to the flag of each castle once it has been judged